Today’s recipe is really more of a guideline than true recipe. This post is really more of a how-to on making any simple recipe “your own” as they say.
In general my approach to baking and cooking is this…I truly believe it is the simple, well done, recipes that usually make people the happiest!
I don’t know how it is at your house, but my fella’s love brownies!
I mean they L-O-V-E brownies!!
Don’t get me wrong, I like brownies, but not like they do. But that’s okay, because if ever I want to make them happy, a fresh pan of brownies will usually do the trick.
So let’s take a look at what we have going on today.
Simple Valentine’s Heart Brownies
1 box brownie mix prepared according to package, whatever brand you prefer
Use a regular family size mix if you want a 13X9-inch pan, if you want a smaller batch, use a small box for a 8-in. x 8-in. pan.
Can of Vanilla frosting, any brand you prefer
Food coloring if you wish to tint the frosting, you will only need a drop or two
Sprinkles if desired
Cookie cutters if desired, otherwise a plastic knife works fine
1. Spray whatever size pan is called for on box, set aside. Preheat oven as called for on box, most brownies bake at 350 degrees F, check back of box to be sure.
2. Bake brownies for time given on back of box. Always go with the minimal amount of time, check every two minutes after that if brownies need more time.
3. Cool brownies completely. Now you need to decide if you want to cut the brownies with a knife, or a cute shaped cookie cutter. For these, I used two different sizes of hearts.
If you decide to cut the brownies with a knife – chill the brownies in the fridge first, once chilled cut them with a plastic knife, you will be surprised how well this works.
4. Once your brownies are plated, you are ready to add a frosting drizzle. I simply heat some of the canned frosting in the microwave. The amount is up to you, it’s not a precise measurement, it’s simply personal preference. Just eyeball it, you can always heat up more of you want to. Remember, you want the frosting warm enough to be used as a drizzle, not boiling hot.
5. Now it’s time to dress the brownies up a little. When you have the amount of frosting you want heated up – you may want to add a drop or two of red food coloring for a pretty pink color.
Maybe you want to add a small amount of flavored extract (start with 1/4 tsp.), but maybe you don’t, either way they’ll be good.
*Now the best part. Add whatever type of sprinkles/toppings you want. If you want to use Valentine’s Day sprinkles they’re always very cute.
Or you could simply use micro or mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips or even mini M&M’s. You decided, it’s your dessert!