Crème Brûlée just has such a warm inviting flavor! As you might expect traditional Crème Brûlée is made with cream, egg yolks, sugar and usually flavored with vanilla, AND oh yes the best part, the caramelized sugar on top! Needless to say, traditional Crème Brûlée is very French and very fattening!
However, when living in a modern world, do like the modern people do. Right? So, instead we use Crème Brûlée Coffee Creamer. In this modern day of baking and cooking we’re lucky to have things such as Crème Brûlée Gourmet Coffee Creamer!
For these muffins I adapted a very, very old recipe from one my grandmother’s old church cookbooks. You know, the kind of recipe where measured amounts weren’t always included with the recipe, where it was just more of a list? Anyway, you get the idea.
So this is my interpretation of an old school muffin recipe adapted to what I needed, with a modern day twist – Crème Brûlée Coffee Creamer.
You can see the delicious muffins are cooling. I made Jumbo Muffins, but you certainly don’t have to. This was a treat for youngest son who LOVES Crème Brûlée! In adapting a recipe that is loosely written I have learned two things.
ONE – Always use your own favorite crumb/streusel topping when making muffins, coffee cake, or anything with a delicious crumb topping.
TWO – If you are a streusel topping lover, there is no such thing as too much streusel topping! Use double the amount you need and you should be happy. If not use more!!
The middle layer you see is the cinnamon streusel layer that is so yummy! Don’t forget to add a generous layer of streusel to the tops of the muffins as well. Pop them in the oven and you have perfection!
A muffin on Monday is always a great way to start the day!
Crème Brûlée Muffins
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup Crème Brûlée Gourmet Coffee Creamer, any brand
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup Canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line the muffin cups with paper liners; spray the liners with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl stir streusel ingredients until crumbly; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Beat eggs; stir in coffee creamer and oil. Fold in the flour mixture; mix just until ingredients are combined well. Batter should be lumpy.
3. Split the streusel mixture into two equal parts, either eyeball it or use two different bowls. Fill each muffin cup halfway, sprinkle with a layer of the streusel mixture, fill each muffin cup with more batter so that muffin cup is 2/3 to 3/4 full. Once again top with cinnamon streusel mixture. Basically, one half of the mixture is for the middle layer, and one half is for the tops of the muffins.
4. Bake muffins at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
MAKES 12 MUFFINS
I often double the streusel mixture because we love lots of yummy streusel mixture! It may seem like a lot of topping as you’re adding it to the muffins, but it really isn’t.