I love a good truly useful idea, especially when it’s an idea based on re-using something. Whenever possible I try to re-use anything and everything I can. Which brings us to Window Sill Basil. 🙂
Maybe you’ve done this already, maybe you haven’t. Either way, I’m sharing an idea that works out well for me every time. I love window sill herbs, I do them all the time!
What I love most about this idea is that it can be adapted to fit any kitchen, any color scheme, any holiday, well you get the idea. You can take this same concept and make your window sill herbs as simple or elaborate as you want.
Megamommy Note: Make sure that the inside of the can is clean and free of any sharp edges. You can easily pick up sandpaper at any dollar store for quick and easy sanding jobs.
- one recycled can, reuse any can you have on hand
- one can of spray paint, pick a color that you like so that it can be used more than once for other projects
- potting soil
- packet of seeds, any kind you will use
- any special decorations, stickers, etc. you wish to use to decorate can, if you choose to do so
- popsicle stick
- Sharpie marker
1. Wash out empty can, any size. Allow to dry completely.
2. Spray paint the can with any color you choose and allow to dry completely.
3. If you are going to also embellish the can with anything else be sure to do so before planting.
4. Fill can 2/3 to 3/4 full of potting soil and plant seeds according to instructions on the back of seed packet.
5. Write the name of the herb on a popsicle stick with a Sharpie. Place a popsicle stick with the plant’s name on it inside of the can. It’s always helpful on those days when you just forget, or when giving as a gift.
Window Sill Cans also make great last minute gifts. Just make sure the plant/herb is already growing before you give it as a gift! 🙂