This is a great gift idea for almost any child! It’s a gift that’s very well received by younger children, and it’s something the birthday boy or girl can have fun with long after their birthday has passed. We have given numerous Birthday Baking Boxes and Birthday Cooking Boxes as gifts. As a matter of fact, parents have thanked me later for a gift that gives their child something to do after the birthday has come and gone. [Read more…]
May 8th and April 4th are two of my favorite days in the entire world! Yes my friends, those are very special days to me, because those are the dates of my boys’ birthdays!!
I know it often seems like I have more kids, but that’s just because we’re always busy with something around here. Some how my two boys keep us busier than we ever imagined. You guys know how it is.
Without a doubt, I make many, many different versions of Birthday Cookies. It seems like someone we know or love is always having a birthday; especially in the summer.
Since we like giving the special Birthday Person something FRESH and home-made we know they will like, I make a lot of Birthday Cookies!
This cookie is an adapted version of a Birthday Cookie I saw and adapted for whoever is celebrating their birthday that week. The sandwich version shown in the recipe is very good, but I often make them as a single cookie, because then I make them bigger and my boys love that!
Well, my son has a birthday coming up next week and asked me to PLEASE make these Birthday Cookies for his Birthday Week!!
So here we go. 🙂
HAPPY BIRTHDAY COOKIES
1 box (regular size) yellow cake mix
1/4 cup rainbow candy sprinkles, or any sprinkle you prefer
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon milk, I used vanilla almond milk, but any kind of milk will do
1 egg, room temperature
1 can vanilla frosting, or any flavor you prefer
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon your favorite flavored extract, if you want to flavor the frosting
1/4 cup of sprinkles, any type you want to use for a garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, rainbow sprinkles, butter, milk, and egg until soft dough forms. Scoop onto a baking mat with a cookie scoop, or onto an ungreased baking sheet.
2. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set. Allow cookies to cool for approximately two minutes. Remove from cookie sheet; cool completely.
3. Place the frosting in a microwave safe bowl, and heat for about 15 seconds. Stir frosting to distribute heat evenly. Then microwave for another 10 seconds to get frosting smooth and easy to work with. You don’t want to get the frosting too hot, you just want to heat it enough to make it easy to work with.
4. Add food coloring and flavored extract to frosting, if desired. Evenly drizzle cookies with frosting, then immediately top cookies with sprinkles. Allow frosting to set before moving.
Source: Birthday Cake Cookies
MM TIP: You can certainly use a Funfetti cake mix to make these cookies. I prefer to use a regular yellow or chocolate cake mix and add my own sprinkles. The reason being the sprinkles seem brighter and don’t break as much. It’s just a matter of personal preference.
You can also use a pre-colored frosting, if you prefer. I almost always buy plain vanilla frosting, because I can color it any color I want to.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY February Friends!!
Remember when I said each month of the year we’re going to celebrate Birthdays here @ Megamommy?
Well, maybe you do, maybe you don’t. Either way, here’s a fun, simple and oh so yummy Birthday treat for February!
I simply call them Birthday Oreo Brownies. 🙂
Why? Because I make them with Birthday Cake Oreos (when possible), and they’re made only for Birthdays at our house.
Birthday Oreo Brownies – are another birthday treat your family and friends are sure to enjoy, if they don’t already.
Let’s take a look…
Start with any standard brownie mix and Birthday Cake OREOs. If you’re not already familiar with the Birthday Cake OREOs, they only come out once a year. My kids love Oreos, so I learn what I can about Oreos as I go.
Two things here, first off, you only need one pack of Oreos and it’s possible you won’t even use the entire pack.
Secondly, although the Birthday Cake OREOs are fun and look pretty, there truly is no flavor difference between these and regular Oreos!
Here’s the brownie batter, it’s just the brownie mix with the items called for on the back of the box. Remember not to over stir. 🙂
These are the brownies with an Oreo inside of them cooling, waiting to be decorated, and eaten of course.
I simply decorated the brownie cupcakes with pink vanilla frosting, added lots of sprinkles, and topped it off with half an Oreo (the same kind that’s inside).
Birthday Oreo Brownies
1 box Brownie Mix & ingredients called for on back of box
Birthday Oreos, or any other flavor of Oreos desired
Frosting of choice
Oreos, for garnish at the end
Brithday candles, if desired
1. Preheat oven to temp. called for on back of brownie mix. Line cupcake pans with paper liners, and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
2. Prepare brownie mix according to instructions on back of box. Place 1 Tbs. of brownie batter in bottom of each muffin cup. Place Oreo of choice on top of brownie batter (Golden or Chocolate) and continue filling as you normally would for a brownie cupcake.
*MM Note: According to my Taste Testers the Golden Oreos aren’t nearly as good as the Chocolate Oreos. However, when I do these Birthday Oreo Brownies I like the combination of Golden Oreo with the chocolate fudge or milk chocolate flavor of a brownie. The choice is up to you!
3. Bake as you normally would. After brownies are completely cooled, frost and decorate as desired.
*MM Note: I have made these Birthday Oreo Brownies numerous times and numerous different ways. How you garnish is up to you.
If you prefer to chop up the Oreos and sprinkle on top feel free; or you can cut the Oreos in half and top each one with half an Oreo placed gently in the frosting. Of course you can always just go for it and garnish with a whole Oreo placed on top, if desired.