Here’s my version of a new Christmas Cookie that fits the way we live today! It’s always so nice when old and new come together in wonderful way!
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!
So, I was at the Betty Crocker site a few days ago and I saw a version of these cookies. My kids just happened to be there and saw it too.
Normally I pretty much never do an adaptation of something I just saw; especially something I just saw recently. Good or bad I like to do my own thing. These cookies are however the exception, only because chocolate chip is my family’s favorite cookie!
Here’s a brief rundown of the conversation we had right after checking out the cookie.
the boys: WHAT, you can make chocolate chip cookies for Christmas? That’s a Christmas Cookie?
me: Of course guys, it’s really nothing new, just a fun modern twist.
the boys: Hey! You knew about this (like it’s a GIANT secret) and didn’t tell us?
me: Well I didn’t think there was anything to say (as I was thinking..duh). It’s just a chocolate chip cookie dipped in chocolate…
the boys: Isn’t that the point? (seriously looking at me like I’m some kind of crazy woman missing the point).
me: What do you mean?
the boys: So Christmas Cookies can be cookies we L-O-V-E and would want to eat anytime of the year? Not just the ones we’re suppose to like because it’s Christmas?
me: Note to self – keep it simple, keep it good! I am SO doing Christmas cookies and treats that fit the way we live today!
Let’s take a look at what I did with this new Christmas Cookie. I’m quite sure once you have them like this you will want to make them again and again. Yes, they’re that good!
As you can see I start with my fresh home made chocolate chip cookies. You can make your cookies from scratch or from a mix, whatever you prefer.
I actually dipped the cookies in chocolate a little more than half way. Of course my boys wanted them completely dunked, but that just wasn’t going to happen for a number of reasons. If you prefer you can dip the cookies only half way, or less.
Remember at the top of the post when I said my family was pretty darn excited about Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies? In case you’re wondering, the cookies were gone in almost no time at all, AND they’re already asking when I’m going to make these again. I’m sure your family and friends will love them too! ENJOY!
Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup mini chocolate chips
White baking chips, or white chocolate melts + 2 teaspoons shortening
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate baking chips + 2 teaspoons shortening (I used Traders Joe’s milk chocolate, chopped)
Holiday sprinkles, any kind you like
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two cookie sheets with silicon baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Mix together the brown sugar, sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla. Continue mixing until incorporated. By hand, slowly add the flour, salt, baking soda, and instant pudding mix. Mix until combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Mix until mini chocolate chips are evenly distributed through dough.
3. Using a cookie scoop, scoop out about 1-1/2 tablespoons of dough on to cookie sheet. Bake for about 9-11 minutes. Bake until cookies are golden at edges. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
4. In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave chips and shortening in separate bowls. Microwave for 1 minute on High, stir and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until chips are melted. Stir until smooth.
5. Gently dip each cookie about halfway into melted chips; sliding the back of the cookie on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place cookies on parchment-lined tray, sprinkle with desired sprinkles. Let stand until chocolate sets, about 1 hour.
Makes 24 Cookies.