My Smiley Surprise Cakes are a snap to bake – and even more fun to decorate! These cupcakes also travel well so you can bring them anywhere!
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!
Today’s post for Smiley Surprise Cupcakes is all about simplicity and great flavor! Not only are these cupcakes a great cupcake you can truly make any day of the week, and they’re pretty darn tasty too!
I really believe sometimes it’s nice to be reminded of the simple things you CAN do!
Anyhoo, I call these cupcakes my Smiley Surprise Cupcakes for a few reasons. Let’ me explain…with these cupcakes the frosting is in the middle, I have doctored up a cake mix to include a few more ingredients that not only add calcium and protein, but also add GREAT flavor, and then of course there’s the bright smiley face added to the top. So you see, I just had to go with Smiley Surprise Cupcakes!
Some people like to make all their cakes/cupcakes and that’s fine. To each their own. I say so what if you start with a mix? You’re still taking the time to make a wonderful treat for your family, friends or co-workers! Just so you know, people of all ages enjoy these delicious cupcakes. Yes adults love them too!
Give these a try sometime soon!
What makes these cupcakes so special is…the way you can put a whole new spin on fun by adding a simple smiley face to the top of the cake! While inside the cake you have a wonderful frosting center waiting for you.
Make sure you top off the cake with a smiley face AFTER you have filled it with whatever frosting you’re using in the middle!!
There’s a good amount of vanilla frosting inside of each cupcake. People of all ages love these little cakes! Just make sure you let people know they’re a filled cupcake.
If you haven’t filled cupcakes before, just make sure to go slow and steady. I like to fill the cupcakes until you can see them start to expand a bit and you can just barely see a few dots of white through the cake.
Now you have a special cupcake that travels well too! No more worries about the frosting getting wrecked on the way to where you’re going. ENJOY!!
Smiley Surprise Cupcakes
1 White Cake Mix
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces (1 cup) strawberry banana Greek yogurt, or sour cream also works fine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles, or any you prefer
1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting, any brand
blue vanilla frosting, you can either purchase this, or color your own with gel paste food coloring
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or line two muffin pans with paper liners.
2. Combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and Greek yogurt, or sour cream. Stir in vanilla extract and sprinkles by hand.
3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-24 minutes. Add a little water to the bottom of each cupcake tin not filled with batter. This helps your cupcakes bakes a little nicer. If you get 24 cupcakes out of the mix, that’s fine too.
3. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert pastry tip. Fill the bag with vanilla frosting. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake. Or if you prefer you can take the liner off, push the tip through the bottom and fill each cupcake.
4. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert pastry tip. Fill the bag with small amount of blue frosting. Create a smiley face on the top of each cake. Make it as free form or silly as you want to.
5. Once cupcakes are filled and topped off with a smiley face; chill for 20 minutes or until set.
Makes 20-24 cupcakes