Buttermilk banana bread done right with ripe bananas, fresh blueberries, and a light sugar coated top make this banana bread absolutely wonderful.
Today we are talking Banana Bread. I think I have probably mentioned a few million times banana bread is one of those things I never really get tired of.
I make banana bread often and I make many, many varieties of banana bread because it’s always fun to change it up just bit depending upon the day!
The possibilities for banana bread are pretty much endless. This combination is one that I’ve been wanting to do forever and just haven’t, until recently. No reason really, just didn’t get around to it.
So a few weeks ago I made my first Blueberry Banana Bread. It was SO good! Usually my kids don’t like pieces of fruit in food, yes it’s true, but they loved the Blueberry Banana Bread!
I have to say my Blueberry Banana Bread is one of my favorite banana bread variations for Summer. Give it a try soon, very soon!!
For this recipe, I started off with this Gold Medal Flour Recipe. However, I always make my own adaptations depending upon my mood of course. You have to make it your own, right?
It always nice to have a good basic recipe to work with for anything you make! From there you can make any changes you want to. Trust me when I say, a good recipe is worth it’s weight in gold!
Feel free to adapt, modify, change or do whatever you want to at home. Some lemon in this Blueberry Banana Bread would also be very good.
I used frozen blueberries because that’s what I had on hand. I’m sure you guys have heard this before but you want to either use frozen blueberries, or fresh blueberries. Do not let you frozen blueberries thaw!
Blueberry Banana Bread
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs, large
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/1 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen blueberries, or fresh blueberries, if using frozen blueberries keep frozen until time to add blueberries
White Sprinkling Sugar for top, or regular sugar can be used instead
1. Make sure that oven racks are positioned so that bread will bake in center of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottoms of four mini loaf pans.
2. Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt until just moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.
3. Divide the batter evenly among 4 mini loaf pans. Sprinkle the top of each mini loaf with white sparkling sugar, if desired.
4. Bake 4 mini loaves about 40 minutes. Cool completely, at least 1 hour, before slicing. Place in an airtight container, or wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
* Bread can also be made as 2 – 8-inch loaves, bake for about 1 hour, or 1 – 9-inch loaf, bake for about 1 1/4 hours. Bake all loaves until toothpick inserted comes out clean. For all loaves, cool 10 minutes, remove loaves from pans and finish cooling on wire rack. Cool completely.