A modern twist on a classic favorite that is so unbelievably good. If you like cream puffs, you will love my Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese Puffs!
Guess what? We actually made it to just a bit over 80 degrees the other day! Can you believe it? It has been over eight months since it has been that warm! That’s right eight months. I almost forgot what 80 degrees feels like!
Then I started thinking about wonderful warm weather treats. One thing led to another and home made cream puffs came to mind. It’s kind of funny because I haven’t had cream puffs in forever and the idea just kind of came to life.
So today we are going to make home made Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese Puffs. When’s the last time you had a home made cream puff? Enjoy!
For this recipe, I started off with Midwest Living’s Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Cheese Puffs Recipe. However, I had a few changes in mind, so that’s what I did.
Please do not let the idea of making home made cream puffs intimidate you!
They really aren’t all that complicated. The biggest thing to remember with cream puffs is to take your time. 🙂
This is exactly how you want your cream puff shells to look. They should be light and airy, golden brown, and of course never overbaked.
I used chocolate almond spread, but you could easily use Nutella. The original recipe was made with Nutella, I just wanted something a little different.
You can go as heavy or light with the chocolate drizzle as you want to. Of course it will depend on how the Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese Puffs are being served and personal preference. Enjoy!
Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese Puffs
Prep time: 40 min | Cool time: 10 min | Bake 30 to 40 min
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter, cut into eight pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup Hershey’s Chocolate with Almond Spread, divided
1 (8 ounce) carton extra creamy frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat, set aside.
2. For cream puff shells: In a medium saucepan combine the water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Immediately add flour all at once; stir until well combined. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each with a hand-held mixer.
3. Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Do not overbake! After cream puff shells have cooled a bit, prick puffs with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
4. For filling: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the chocolate with almond spread. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Fold in the whipped topping until combined. Cover and chill until serving. Mixture will set up a bit.
5. Just before serving, cut tops from puffs; remove soft dough from inside puffs. Spoon about 1/3 cup filling into bottom half of puff. Replace top half.
6. Place the remaining few tablespoons of chocolate with almond spread in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 20-25 seconds or until softened, stirring a few times. Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate spread over puffs. Sprinkle with sliced almonds, if desired. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 12 Servings