What’s full of sprinkles, creamy and yellow in the middle and yummy all over? My Spring Ahead Sandwich Cookies, of course!! 🙂
You are probably saying to yourself why Spring Ahead Sandwich Cookies? Why not just Spring Cookies? Well, it’s a little too early for spring here, but we did just recently spring ahead.
But most importantly, the sun is starting to shine a little more, and it is wonderful! It’s amazing how much better even a little sunshine can make you feel. 🙂
A nice yellow buttercream middle and lots and lots of sprinkles sandwiches between two homemade cookies is sure to put a smile on anyone’s face.
My Spring Ahead Sandwich cookies are meant to be fun and happy, but most importantly delicious!
First I make my cookie rounds, then I make my buttercream frosting, then I sandwich them together and the final sprinkles.
If you don’t want to make homemade buttercream frosting that’s fine. Simply use store bought buttercream from the can or even vanilla frosting instead.
Use whatever makes you and the people you’re baking for happy. 🙂
For the sprinkles I like to use two different varieties. Personally I like the regular rainbow sprinkles in the cookies, and then a second sprinkle for rolling the sandwiches in.
You can use any variety of sprinkle that works for you!
Spring Ahead Sandwich Cookies
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup rainbow jimmy sprinkles
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons milk, or heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-5 drops yellow food coloring
1/4-1/2 cup sprinkles of your choice for rolling cookie sandwiches
*If you don’t want to make buttercream frosting that’s fine. Simply use store bought buttercream or vanilla frosting and use that instead.
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two cookie sheets with silicon baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Mix together the brown sugar, sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla. Continue mixing until incorporated. With mixer on low or by hand, slowly add the flour, salt, baking soda, and instant pudding mix.
Use a spatula or spoon to stir in the sprinkles until well combined, Be careful not to mix too much, or the sprinkle colors will start to bleed into your dough.
3. Using a small cookie scoop, shape dough into balls and place on cookie sheets. Slightly press down on baking sheet.
4. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Bake until cookies are golden at edges. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheets before moving cookies. Then gently remove cookies with spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
5. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Beat the powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk or cream to reach your desired consistency. Add food coloring, mix well.
6. Spread flat side of half of cookies with frosting, then sandwich with remaining cookies. Roll cookies in sprinkles, coat edges with sprinkles as desired.
Makes 12 Cookie Sandwiches.