Moist red vlevet bars topped with just the right amount of cream cheese Oreo frosting, and melted chocolate, finished off with a few more miniature chips, and Valentine’s Day sprinkles just for fun!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Are you a red velvet lover? If you are, these bars are right up your alley. Red Velvet is just such a nice pleasant flavor. Don’t you think? There are a lot of people out there who LOVE red velvet, and I mean LOVE it! I know a few of those people. 🙂
My youngest son is one of those people. There’s just something about red velvet he absolutely loves, and I know a lot of you out there are the exact same way!
Red velvet everything has been all over the internet lately, so I just kind of went with what flavors I thought would make most people happy.
So let’s get started…
As you can see these bars are nice and moist. That’s because there’s instant pudding added to the cake mix, and because they aren’t over baked.
Please don’t over bake your bars, they just won’t be the same.
When you bake the bars at home put them in the fridge when you’re all done, allowing them to set up a bit. Then when you’re ready to serve, take them out about 20-30 minutes before you want to cut them.
You may notice that the chocolate on these bars is cracked a bit. That’s because I tried to rush it. I know better, I was just going too fast.
Simply let them warm up a bit like a said and you will be fine. 🙂
There’s a light cream cheese cookie layer underneath the chocolate that I think is my favorite part of the bar. It really adds something special!
I used light cream cheese and Triple Double Oreos. According to my peeps (aka my kids) those are “the best” flavor of Oreos out there. But feel free to use any kind you like!
Red Velvet Oreo Bars
1 box Red Velvet cake mix, any brand you want
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, room temprature
1 package (3.3 ounces) instant white chocolate, or cheesecake pudding
3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 package Triple double Oreos – you will only use half unless you choose to add more Oreos
8 ounces package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 – 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
Miniature chocolate chips for garnish, optional
Valentine’s Day sprinkles for garnish, optional
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set pan aside.
2. Combine the cake mix, melted butter, eggs, pudding mix, and vegetable oil. Mix well until completely combined, about 2 minutes with an electric or stand mixer. Mixture will be thick, remember this is for bars, spread evenly into cake pan.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely. Place cream cheese in a large bowl to soften while bars cool, and you crush the cookies.
4. Divide the Oreos in half. Crush half the Oreos in a large plastic bag using a rolling pin, or place in food processor. Keep the other half for another use. I’m sure you can find something to do with them. 🙂
5. Stir together room temp cream cheese and crushed Oreos until blended well. Gently spread mixture on top of baked red velvet bars. Be sure bars are cooled completely and be extra careful not to tear the bars.
6. Melt chocolate chips in microwave as instructed on package, and pour over top of Oreo layer. Spread with a spatula to make sure chocolate is spread evenly. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and sprinkles if desired.
7. Allow to cool completely. Cover and place in fridge. Take out 20-30 minutes before serving.