Do you like chocolate and cherry together? Most of us do. How about chocolate and banana together? Of course! Then why not try my moist and flavorful Chocolate-Cherry-Banana Cake?
Chocolate, cherry and banana, three great flavors, one great cake! Friday is Valentine’s Day, and this cake would be perfect for Valentine’s Day!!
Whether you’re celebrating with a special someone, a group of people, or even celebrating solo, this cake is perfect! You can always bring the rest to work to share with your co-workers if you don’t want the whole cake hanging around the house.
You will be everyone’s friend, well for the day anyway, and you will be able to indulge in a wonderful piece of moist, delicious cake.
My Chocolate-Cherry-Banana Cake is a great cake for Valentine’s Day! It’s also a great cake any time you want something a little different!!
CHOCOLATE: While experimenting, I also made this cake with Devil’s Food cake mix, and it too turned out very well.
Whether you go with regular chocolate or Devil’s Food is up to you.
CHERRY: So where does the cherry come in? That’s easy, I added one container of Very Cherry yogurt to my cake batter. The brand is a local grocery store brand, any brand will do.
Then for a little extra cherry touch on top I added some cherry extract to the glaze. Not only do you get great cherry flavor from the extract, it also makes the glaze a very pretty pale pink.
If you have someone who isn’t crazy about cherry you can simply make the glaze without the cherry extract and it will still be very good.
BANANA: Let’s talk bananas, if you don’t bake with bananas often, they’re a wonderful way of adding flavor, moisture, and a few extra nutrients into your food!
Plus, most people like bananas, and that is a good thing.
one box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box – substitute chocolate milk for the water called for on back of box
1 large ripe banana, mashed
one container cherry yogurt, any brand will do
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, or milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream, or milk
1/2 teaspoon cherry extract, add another 1/2 teaspoon if desired after tasting
1-2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan generously with cooking spray, or a regular 13 x 9 cake pan; set aside.
2. Prepare the cake according to package instructions, substituting chocolate milk for the water. Pour into the greased pan and bake according to instructions on back of package, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
3. While cake is cooling prepare chocolate glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder, just to mix together a bit. Slowly add heavy cream, start with 2 tablespoons, add 1 teaspoon at a time until desired glaze consistency. Drizzle the top with the chocolate glaze.
4. In a medium small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, heavy cream, and cherry extract until desired glaze consistency. Drizzle cherry glaze over cake and chocolate glaze as desired. Immediately sprinkle with miniature chocolate chips.
5. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Makes 16 servings.