Classic eggnog gets a flavor update with vanilla and almond, and is turned into a yummy morning bread, or anytime bread, with chocolate chips and a wonderful creamy glaze.
Have you seen the Eggnog on shelves just about everywhere? Yes friends, once again it’s that time of year. 🙂
So let’s have a little talk about eggnog. We all know people who LOVE eggnog, and we all know people who HATE eggnog! Right?
For the most part people are pretty divided on their feelings about eggnog. It just so happens I am one of those rare people who can go either way.
So the other day at the store, the boys and I saw Vanilla Almond Eggnog, and they wanted to try it. Of course, they want to try everything! Being that I love both vanilla and almond, I thought, why not?
The delicious vanilla and almond flavors in this eggnog make it easy to work with.
So here we go…
Honestly, I didn’t know there was such a thing as Vanilla Almond Eggnog.
If you’re like me, and don’t usually watch eggnog, there seems to be a number of new eggnogs, and flavored creamy beverages this year.
Which means there are all kinds of fun things to bake with!
The eggnog in this bread gives it a really nice touch, and I have to say the eggnog also makes a really good glaze, which is always a good thing!
I was quite pleasantly surprised how good the glaze was with just a few simple ingredients. But then again, the simple flavors are usually the best flavors. 🙂
This bread is perfect when you have a few guests spending the night, or you just want something a little different any time at all during the holiday season.
Vanilla Almond Eggnog Chocolate Chip Bread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup Vanilla Almond Eggnog, room temperature
3 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup applesauce
1 (6 ounce) container very vanilla, Yoplait light yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups unbleached white whole wheat flour (if you don’t have unbleached white whole wheat flour you can use 3 cups of all-purpose flour instead)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup miniature chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, optional
2-3 tablespoons Vanilla Almond Eggnog, or regular milk
1. Heat oven to 350F degrees. Spray two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Combine the unbleached white whole wheat flour and all-purpose flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggnog and eggs. Stir in the yogurt, almond and vanilla. Stir dry ingredients into liquid ingredients, stir just until moistened. Stir in miniature chocolate chips. Mixture will be on the thicker side. Pour into two sprayed 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
3. Bake at 350F degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
4. In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, butter, and Vanilla Almond Eggnog with a whisk; mix well. If needed, add additional eggnog 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.
5. Place wire rack over waxed paper. Position loaves on wire rack. Drizzle glaze over loaves. Let excess glaze drip off. Leave loaves on rack until glaze sets; or serve with additional glaze while glaze is still wet.