Chocolate cake, cinnamon, dark chocolate with espresso beans, and a simple glaze made with toffee almond creamer – make this cake both unique and wonderful!
Last night I was prepping for one of our basic Sunday Dinners. In my head is was going through the various parts of the meal, but I didn’t have a dessert.
It’s not too often I have this problem. I simply didn’t know what to make for dessert! No dessert on a Sunday, I feel a mutiny about to take place.
Oh, for the meal, (oven-baked lemon pepper tilapia, oven roasted Brussels sprouts, and seasoned pan-fried potatoes, heavy on season, a touch of salt, light on oil), just in case you were wondering. Nothing too grandiose. We like simple, basic food.
Back to dessert, I didn’t know what to make, but in the back of my head I was thinking maybe some kind of chocolate cake, but something different. My fellas always love a good chocolate cake!
This cake is delicious, comes together quickly, and is guaranteed to get a YUM from everyone having a piece!
Don’t let the name Double Chocolate Chunk Espresso Cake with Toffee almond Glaze, fool you! This cake does indeed have all of those components, but it really is a simple cake to make.
The flavors going on here – the chocolate cake, cinnamon, dark chocolate with espresso beans (the size of pepper flecks) and the simple Toffee Almond glaze are just such a nice change of pace.
I’ve said it a million times, and I will say it a million more, I truly believe it’s the simple, well done, recipes that create the greatest pleasure.
Oh one thing, when I use things like Double Chocolate Bars with Espresso Beans, I ALWAYS buy them on sale! If you like to bake, pick up those types of unique items when they go on sale for a decent price.
Remember, it’s only a good sale if the price is right and it’s something you like, or can use!!
Give this cake a try, and let me know what you think…
Double Chocolate Chunk Espresso Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup regular milk, or chocolate milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (3 oz.) Bar Dark Chocolate with Espresso Beans chopped, divided – you could use 1 cup of chocolate chunks or chocolate chips in place of Dark Chocolate Bar, if desired. No the weight isn’t the same, but close enough to create the desired taste.
TOFFEE ALMOND GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons Toffee Almond Cream Coffee Creamer, or regular milk
1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch spring-form pan, or a 9-inch round cake pan generously with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, milk, oil and cinnamon in a larger bowl with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in 1/2 of the chocolate by hand.
3. Pour batter into cake pan, sprinkle the other half of the chocolate over batter in pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove cake from pan, place on wire rack; cool completely.
4. In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar and butter. Add Coffee Creamer; with a whisk mix well. If needed, add additional coffee creamer 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.
5. Place wire rack over waxed paper. Position cake on wire rack. Drizzle glaze over cake. Let excess glaze drip off. Leave cake on rack until glaze sets.
Makes 8 to 10 servings