You know how there are just times you want something other than chocolate? I know, I know, I love chocolate too! But there are times I just need something else.
Besides, I love baking things that my kids can have for breakfast with some fresh fruit and a glass of cold milk.
I do various twists on our favorite combinations of muffin cakes (or whatever you want to call them) all year long. Now I usually do them in my muffin top pans. I love, love, love my muffin top pans!
They can be hard to get your hands on because they’re a hot item right now. But that’s not why I like them. I like them because it’s a great size for a lot of different things!
CINNAMON-SPICE MUFFIN CAKES
1 package (regular size) spice cake mix, any brand
eggs and oil called for on back of cake mix
water called for on back of cake mix (I used Vanilla Almond Milk, any water or milk will work)
1 (6 ounce) container apple crisp yogurt (I used Yoplait, but you can use any brand)
3/4 cups Caramel Bits (I used Kraft Caramel Bits)
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons Cinnabon Gourmet Coffee Creamer, depending on how thick you like your glaze
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray muffin top pans with nonstick spray; set aside. Be sure to use nonstick spray. It helps keep caramel from sticking.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, vanilla almond milk, eggs, and oil until with an electric mixer on medium for 2 minutes or more. Stir in apple crisp yogurt and caramel bits. Pour 1/4 cup batter into each cup.
3. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into plain cake area comes out clean. (Insert toothpick in an area where there is no caramel). I like to place the muffin top pan on a cookie sheet when baking, but it isn’t nevessary.
4. For best results cool 20 minutes before moving. Remove muffin cakes from muffin pans and cool completely.
5. For glaze, in a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and cinnamon creamer until a desired glaze consistency. Drizzle glaze over muffin cakes. Let dry completely.
Makes 12 muffin cakes.