So what’s with the name? Chocolate Chip Happy Cookies!
There’s a very simple explanation for the name. Chocolate Chip Happy Cookies are just one of the simple and delicious things I make when we want a little comfort food around here.
I’m happy to say, not all of our comfort foods are dessert. We also love things like soup, casseroles (a.k.a. as hot dish where we live), chili, and so many other foods. However, every time I serve these for dessert, we’re all basically happy for the rest of the night…
These Chocolate Chip Happy Cookies are something ANYONE can make at home, and that’s the best part. No special equipment requirred. All you need is a little patience and a few simple ingredients.
First off we have our ingredients. If you haven’t used these Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes yet, give them a try. They are really quite good.
You will need a stick of butter for these cookies. Moving on, I have a few of my personal favorites, cage-free organic brown eggs, milk chocolate chips and mini M&M’s.
In case you’re wondering the mini M&M’s are in a glass jar because once I have opened a bag, and used a few, I always store them in a glass jar in the fridge. They never last all that long any way.
Make sure the cookies are completely cool before you dip them in the melted chocolate (process is outlined below) or the chocolate won’t hold the way you want it to.
After the cookies are cooled simply melt the chocolate chips and dunk, then gently add some mini M&M’s and that’s it.
These cookies make me so happy. 🙂
Chocolate Chip Happy Cookies
1 (17.5 oz.) bag of Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
1/2 cup butter softened, or 1 stick
Milk Chocolate Chips, or any kind of chip you prefer
mini M&M’s, or any flavor M&M you prefer
1. Make the cookies according to the instructions on the back of the package.
2. Usually I bake cookies just until barely set. For these bake an additional 1-2 minutes, but no longer. You want these cookies to be done just a little bit more than usual or they may crumble and/or crack when you dip them.
3. Put the mini M&M’s in a small bowl, set aside. Place a sheet of wax paper over a cookie sheet to place cookies on after dunking, set aside.
4. Melt one cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave with just a tiny bit (1-2 tsp.) of canola or vegetable oil. You don’t abosultely have to have the oil, it just makes the melting process easier. Check the chips after 30 seconds, stir, microwave for longer if need be. Stir well to incorporate any unmelted chips and to even the temp.
5. Gently dunk the cookies into the melted chocolate chips, allowing any extra chocolate to fall off. Immediately apply mini M&M’s, if using them. Be sure to do the cookies one by one – dip in chocolate, apply M&M’s, continuing the process. Or the mini M&M’s may or may noy stick.
6. Place the embellished cookies on a sheet of wax paper, then place in the fridge to firm up. Serve when ready.
*Mega Tip: Try to always buy the cookie mix, chocolate chips, and M&M’s on sale. All three go on sale all the time, maybe not at the same time, but that’s fine. Buy what’s on sale when you can, and keep them in your pantry for later use.